28.2.10

When I was a boy....

My Mom and I moved into my Stepfathers house when I was 6. I felt lost. There was nothing to do but get to know my new home. I took on this task quietly and with little notice from my elders. It's not that they didn't pay attention to me, I just didn't know if what I was doing was okay so I didn't mention it. Among the enormous quantity of books in the house I came across a oddity. There were several books about myths legends, gods of old and one book about a new legend, a new god. Superman.

An aside: When I say god, I'm not saying I have some interest in starting the Church of Superman. This isn't about worship, it's about awe.

Cut to the quick: I found a page in this book that spoke to me. This page showed me the power of imagination and the power of storytelling. It set the stage for me.




Yeah, it's a Superman clone rising out of the sand for no reason that makes any logical sense. What struk me was the way he walked into the distance. The way he looked over his sholder in the fourth panel was so frightening and intriguing that I have been hooked into storytelling through images ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment